24 May 2014

25th May 2014 - May - the month of Mary - 6th Sunday of Easter (Year A)

On this weeks programme we reflect on various teachings on Mary in the church and her role in salvation history as set out in catholic theology. We also have our regular reflection on the Sunday gospel as well as some liturgical odds and ends.

You can listen to the podcast of this weeks programme HERE.

May the month of Mary

SS102fm has had programmes on various individual devotions to Mary over the last couple of years. But, as May is traditionally the month of Mary on this week's programme, Lorraine leads us through a reflection on Catholic's understanding of Mary in salvation history and in the church. Using the book 'Introduction to Mary - The Heart of Marian Doctrine and Devotion' by Mark Miravalle we looked at what is devotion to Mary and Mary in Scripture (Old Testament pre-figurements of Mary and Mary in the New Testament). 

We then looked at two key Marian doctrines: (1) Mary, the Mother of God and our Mother; and (2) the Immaculate Conception.  Both of these Marian doctrines (indeed, all Marian doctrines) are centred around Christ and what He has done for us.  If you would like to read the first two chapters of Mark Miravalle's book (and other works on Mary), it is available HERE.  The book is available to buy HERE.



Do Catholics Worship Mary?
Catholic Culture - Mary
Catholic Culture - May the month of Mary
Vatican II on Mary - Lumen Gentium
Mary in Scripture - EWTN 


Gospel - John 14:15-21

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you.

"I will not leave you desolate; I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world will see me no more, but you will see me; because I live, you will live also. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him."

Reflections on this weeks gospel:

Word on Fire
English Dominicans
Centre for Liturgy
Sunday Reflections

Liturgical odds and ends

Liturgy of the Hours - psalter week 2; 6th week of Easter

Saints of the Week

May 26th - St Philip Neri
May 27th - St Augustine of Canterbury
May 28th - Blessed John Shert
May 29th -  Saint Gerald of Mâcon (in some parts of the world today is Ascension Thursday but in Ireland, Ascension is commemorated on the nearest Sunday which this year is June 1st).
May 30th - Saint Joan of Arc
May 31st - Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.