9 May 2015

10th May 2015 - May: the month of Mary - 6th Sunday of Easter

On this weeks programme John is joined by Ann, Michael and Martina as they share thoughts on May - the month of Mary. We have our reflection on the Sunday gospel as well as some other liturgical odds and ends.

You can listen to the podcast of this weeks programme HERE.

May - the month of Mary


Popular tradition associates the month of May with devotion to Mary. Catholicculture.org reminds us that "The month of May is the "month which the piety of the faithful has especially dedicated to Our Blessed Lady," and it is the occasion for a "moving tribute of faith and love which Catholics in every part of the world [pay] to the Queen of Heaven. During this month Christians, both in church and in the privacy of the home, offer up to Mary from their hearts an especially fervent and loving homage of prayer and veneration. In this month, too, the benefits of God's mercy come down to us from her throne in greater abundance" (Paul VI: Encyclical on the Month of May, no. 1). This Christian custom of dedicating the month of May to the Blessed Virgin arose at the end of the 13th century. In this way, the Church was able to Christianize the secular feasts which were wont to take place at that time. In the 16th century, books appeared and fostered this devotion.The practice became especially popular among the members of the Jesuit Order — by 1700 it took hold among their students at the Roman College and a bit later it was publicly practiced in the Gesu Church in Rome. From there it spread to the whole Church. 

On this weeks programme we reflect on the importance of linking Mary with Scripture and her continued intercession for mankind are very important to keep in mind as we reflect on 'Our mother' too. She is the mother of our Church as well as our mother. She has appeared at various times of need and crises - Knock, Fatima and Lourdes to name a few and always asks us to Pray -always pointing to her Son, Jesus. The Rosary is a prayer asked to be prayed by Mary and contains 20 meditations of scripture which is an excellent way of keeping us in touch with the life Jesus and Mary. The family Rosary continues to be recited in homes around the world today.

The section on May as the month of Mary is excerpted from the the main programme HERE.

Gospel - John 15: 9 - 17

As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete. “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.
Reflections on this weeks gospel


Liturgical odds & ends

Liturgy of the Hours - psalter week 2; 6th week of Easter

Saints of the Week

May 12th - Ss Nereus & Achilleus (martyrs)
May 13th - Our Lady of Fatima
May 14th - St Matthias (Apostle)
May 15th - St Carthage (bishop) patron of diocese of Waterford & Lismore